Jihadists hack seven to death in Mozambique

17

Suspected jihadists hacked seven people to death with machetes and torched dozens of homes early on Tuesday in northern Mozambique, a region that has suffered a recent spate of similar attacks, police said.

The area, Cabo Delgado province which is expected to become the centre of the country’s nascent natural gas industry after several promising discoveries, has seen a number of deadly assaults on both security forces and civilians since October.

“The bandits used machetes to kill the seven persons. We think this group is likely part of the (one) that beheaded 10 (people on) May 27,” police spokespersn Inacio Dina told AFP, referring to an attack last month in the same region that was also blamed on jihadists.

The assailants burnt down 164 houses and destroyed four cars during the assault on the village of Naude in the Macomia district, the spokesperson said of the most recent attack.

Police reinforcements had previously been sent to the region to step up security.

Dina suggested that the group might also have been linked to the nine “insurgents” killed by security forces over the weekend who were subsequently found to be carrying assault rifles and Arabic-language documents.

“This group is very fragmented in small groups (and) they try to resist police attacks,” he said.

The May 27 bloodshed occurred in two small villages close to the border with Tanzania and not far from Palma, a small town gearing up to be the country’s new natural gas hub in Cabo Delgado.

Comments are closed.