Nabil Fekir has passed his Liverpool medical and will become the Reds’ latest signing, according to French FA president Noel Le Graet.
When the deal was not made official on Friday, doubts were cast over the player’s fitness as he had suffered a serious injury to his right knee previously. However, reports in France suggested the delay may be down to Lyon’s accountancy practices wanting the deal to be completed in the new financial year.
Le Graet offered a positive comment for fans fearful that the 24-year-old may not complete his switch to Anfield.
“He’s in the middle of negotiations and I think it’s done,” he said. “I spent 15 minutes with him this morning [Saturday], and he’s worried by the France team. He’s in good spirits.
“He passed his medical in Clairefontaine. That’s logical, we’ve done it for other players.
“He was looking forward to it because the visit he had was positive.”
Meanwhile, Le Graet believes the negotiations were all part and parcel of regular transfer activity.
“It’s always like that when you talk about a transfer: each tries to raise his price, to lower his price, when there’s a hiccup someone wants it reduced. It’s part of the game,” he said.
Finally, he confirmed his wish to see Fekir complete his switch to Anfield before the World Cup begins in Russia next week, something that the Reds are keen for but Lyon have said will not happen.
“It would be better for him, but he’s not perturbed,” he said of the No.10.
Fekir is coming off a career-best season with Lyon, in which he scored 23 goals and created eight more, leading the Parc OL side to a third-place finish in Ligue 1 behind Paris Saint-Germain and Monaco.
He has won a place in the France World Cup squad for his performances, though Antoine Griezmann is set to be preferred to him in the starting XI for Saturday’s final warm-up friendly against the USA.
Liverpool have already plundered Fabinho from Ligue 1 this summer, with the midfielder arriving at Anfield from Monaco. The Brazilian has previously urged Fekir to join him in England.
The France international is expected to cost the Reds around £60 million (€68m/$80m).